Grading Writing: Using rubrics for effective feedback and time management
October 22, 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Have you included any writing assignments for students in your class? How do you plan to grade their work, and how long will it take? While students are familiar with rubrics, they encounter a wide variety. Instructors may not be certain how to use rubrics well or how best to provide effective feedback on student learning.
By participating in this workshop, instructors will be able to:
(1) identify what students view as effective feedback on writing projects;
(2) clarify key elements of an effective rubric;
(3) distinguish between formative and summative evaluation;
(4) design clear grading rubrics to enhance constructive and consistent feedback;
(5) make use of campus resources like the Writing Center; and
(6) likely reduce the amount of time spent grading writing assignments.
This session is open to all UNC Faculty, Postdocs, and Graduate Students.