Leadership Fundamentals is a cohort-based leadership program that meets throughout the academic year. The program focuses on leadership assessments and key topics, concepts, and models, building specific skills through small group mentoring and coaching.
Kara Penfield, the CFE Senior Leadership Consultant, will direct the 2021-22 Leadership Fundamentals program. Sessions will occur both in person and over Zoom.
Who Should Apply?
All career stages, aspiring leaders, new leaders, established leaders.
Apply for Leadership Fundamentals
Faculty can apply directly or be nominated. A letter of support from the Chair is part of the application. Applications close on August 27. Apply for Leadership Fundamentals.
Session Topics and Schedule
Developing Core Skills for Leadership
Individual Participant Session
- Establish rapport between program facilitator and participants.
- Gain clarity on individual goals and aspired outcomes for program
September 6 – 23, scheduled individually. Zoom.
Building Community and Connection
- Establish rapport among cohort
- Clarify intention and expectations for LF Program
- Build cohort community and connection
September 24, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM. In person.
Coaching Skills for Academic Leaders – Part 1
- Build relationships and rust
- Have deeply curious conversations
- Conscious listening
October 29, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM. Zoom.
Coaching Skills for Academic Leaders – Part 2
- Ask quality questions
- Set goals
November 12, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM. Zoom.
Understanding Yourself as a Leader
Individual Preferences and Values
- Understand individual preferences
- Define individual values
December 3, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM. Zoom.
Emotional Intelligence and Leadership in Higher Education
- Review emotional intelligence
- Create your emotional storyboard
January 28, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM. Zoom.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Higher Education Leadership
- Recognize your personal experience, worldview, and biases
- Honor the experience, world view, and biases of others
February 25, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM. Zoom.
Building or Renovating Academic Teams
- Build a new team
- Renovate an existing team
March 25, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM. Zoom.
Collaboration in Academic Teams
- Create and participate on collaborative teams
- Identify and resolve obstacles to collaborative teams
April 29, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM. Zoom.
Impacting the Future
Setting Your Intentions: Distill – Describe – Commit
- Commit to future growth as a leader
- Design your future plans as a leader
May 13, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM. In person.
CFE Leadership Celebration and Conversation
- Celebrate CFE program graduates
- Leadership panel discussion
May – Date TBD. Zoom.