Peer Mentoring Circles
TEAM ADVANCE Peer Mentoring Circles are open to early-career faculty (assistant professor level, pre-tenure or fixed-term) seeking to develop holistic well-being and advance professional goals with a cohort of peers. The program encourages networking, community-building, and self-advocacy. Early-career faculty are grouped by shared goals and interests into circles of 4-6 pre-tenure and fixed-term peers. Each circle is led by two experienced faculty mentors (one tenured, one fixed-term).
Faculty can register for our 2023-24 Peer Mentoring Circles program. Early-career faculty, both pre-tenure and fixed-term, are encouraged to sign up to join a Peer Circle. Experienced faculty at the associate and full professor ranks are invited to support the program as Circles Mentors.Register for 2023-24 Peer Mentoring Circles
- Monthly Peer Mentoring Circles facilitated by two experienced faculty mentors
- Support and preparation for departmental faculty annual review
- Priority invitation to professional development workshops hosted by the Center for Faculty Excellence
Our curriculum includes:
- Establishing Group “Ground Rules,” Building Trust, and Communication
- Taking Inventory of Existing Mentoring Support and Identifying Needs
- Understanding Promotion and Tenure Requirements
- Developing Professional Identity and Navigating Imposter Syndrome and Stereotype Threat
- Negotiation and Communication Skills
- Preparing for Departmental Faculty Annual Review
Become a Peer Mentoring Circles Mentor
For each Peer Mentoring Circles cohort, we invite experienced associate and full professor, either tenured or fixed-term, to serve as Peer Mentoring Circles Mentors.
Circles Mentors are matched with a partner and guide circle discussions with a group of 5-8 early-career faculty. We pair a fixed-term mentor with a tenured mentor in order to support faculty mentees of each track in each circle. TEAM ADVANCE offers ongoing support and development for facilitators:
- An orientation introducing the TEAM ADVANCE Peer Mentoring Circles model, best facilitation practices, and preparation for the first circle meetings.
- Continuous access to facilitation guides, workshop materials, and other resources.
- Monthly mentor debriefs to share experiences, challenges, and prepare for circle meetings.
- A weekly newsletter from TEAM ADVANCE with updates, resources, and opportunities.
We anticipate the monthly time commitment of about 2.5 hours, which includes one circle meeting (90-minutes) and one debrief with the program leads and other mentors (1 hour).