Support for Deans, Chairs, and Leadership
TEAM ADVANCE provides a series of brief workshops, online learning modules, and web-based resources to support University and departmental leadership with fostering faculty mentoring relationships and developing formal mentoring programs. Throughout 2019-20, members of the project team will present modules during many of the deans and department chairs’ regularly scheduled meetings. Each module is approximately 15-20 minutes and includes interactive discussion and supplemental resources.
Workshop topics include:
- Introduction to Inequity: a brief comparison of national and institutional data about faculty appointments (by race and gender), with a discussion about the impacts of institutional inequity on women of color and white women’s professional advancement.
- Understanding Intersectionality: an introduction to intersectional theory and analysis, including a brief overview of intersectionality’s theoretical development and demonstration of intersectional analysis for providing support to women of color and white women faculty.
- Mentoring and Faculty Annual Review: a discussion about departmental faculty annual review processes with attention to the positive roles mentors can play supporting their faculty mentees.
- Supporting Mentoring Relationships: a discussion about different types of mentoring relationships (career mentoring and psychosocial mentoring), the characteristics of an effective mentor, and the ways departments can support faculty mentoring relationships.
- Mentoring and Departmental Climate and Culture: a discussion about the ways departmental climate and culture can impact faculty mentoring relationships, both positively and negatively, and how departments can support faculty mentoring relationships.
- Mentoring Program Needs Assessment, Program Design, and Program Evaluation: an introduction to tools and resources for designing, implementing, and assessing formal mentoring programs, followed by an in-depth workshop for departmental designees for faculty development (coming Spring 2020).
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about our support for deans, chairs, and campus leadership.