Senior Faculty: Administrators of Faculty Mentoring
As a senior faculty member at UNC-CH, you have the experience and wisdom to provide support and mentoring to junior and mid-career faculty. Additionally, you may take on leadership positions that require more skills. Senior faculty may become department chairs as well. Below are resources designed to support skills in mentoring and in faculty development as well as guides related to conducting Faculty Annual Reviews and development of mentoring programs.
- Faculty Mentoring Program Core Elements (developed by a Task Force through the Provost’s Office): Provides a framework for academic units to develop their own faculty mentoring programs.
- Mentoring Resources On and Off Campus (developed by the School of Medicine): A table of on- and off-campus resources that focus on helping faculty with their mentoring skills as well as helping faculty with their scholarly writing and other faculty development.
- Forthcoming: Good Practices for Mentoring Guide (developed through the Provost’s Office): This is a guidance document informed by a series of focus groups through the Carolina Seminar Series focusing on women faculty across campus and the mentoring relationships that have positively and negatively affected their success.
- Forthcoming: For Chairs: Guide to Faculty Annual Reviews (developed by the Center for Faculty Excellence): This is a toolkit to help chairs develop an annual review process for their faculty. It provides instructions on the preparation, the day-of, and follow-up for faculty annual reviews.
- Request a consultation with the CFE Leadership and Faculty Development Coordinator to help you develop your departmental faculty mentoring program.
- Check back for programming to help Chairs and faculty development leaders develop faculty mentoring programs for their units.
CFE Mentoring Highlights:
Finding a Mentor and Building Strong Mentoring Relationships
Learn how to discover and develop positive mentoring relationships with these resources.
Read More ›
How to Be an Effective Faculty Mentor
Read the latest tips and materials designed to guide you toward effective mentor experiences.
Read More ›